Friday, July 6, 2012

Encouraging (ok bragging on!) Some Friends :)

Meet Tim and Ashley Keller: 



 Our dear friends and missionaries in Kabwe, Zambia.  Jordan and Ashley go way back...they met in the home school group (Chet NW) in Tucson when they were 13...so about 15 years ago.  The stories I've heard is that some people had "plans" for Jordan and Ashley...to which they were always like "eeewww! We are JUST friends!"  God obviously had much different plans for their lives as well.  Ashley would meet Tim in Africa and (finally!) obey His call on her life to take the gospel to Africa, while Jordan and I would meet right out of high school and God knew I needed a husband to take care of me since I would so quickly go "downhill" health wise and couldn't work enough to support myself.  A couple of quick "funny ironies" the Lord has placed in our friendship before Ashley and I ever knew each other, or Tim and Jordan really spent a lot of time together.

1) When I was in high school and got saved, I distinctly remember journaling and desiring to take the gospel to the ends of the earth and do some sort of mission thing, and Africa was at the top of my list of places I wanted to go. (I don't know if you even know this Ash!) 

2) Ashley and I both were heavily involved in 4-H throughout our childhood and into adulthood.

3) We both like Jordan (ok Ashley tolerates him and I love him!) ;)  Sarcastic remarks readily pass at the end of emails from Jord to Ash and then a string of one line emails will ensue until someone (usually Ashley) has a life to get back to or someone forgets (usually Jordan) to reply to the last email.  ;)

4) Jordan and Tim both LOVE Corvettes and can spend hours talking about cars in general.

5) Both boys love to laugh and when the Keller's are in the states and over for their favorite meal (steak on the grill...although Jordan prefers his cooked considerably more than Tim does!) we will at some point end up watching hilarious Youtube videos for hours and never get to those movies we keep talking about watching the next time we get together!

The most important thing about our friendship...Christ has saved us all and I'm so thankful that even though we are literally half a world apart, we will get to spend eternity together worshipping Jesus for all that He has done in us and through us!  Can't wait to get there and see the people that are in heaven because Tim and Ashley chose to leave the comforts of the states and go into the "bush" to share the life saving truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am privileged to "hold the ropes" for them through prayer as Ashley has quoted William Carey...(at least I think that's who it was!) to me, encouraging me that prayer really does make a difference when I get discouraged and want to "do" something instead of "just praying" while I do my treatments and am so sick I can't even get out of bed.  I (and Jordan will grudgingly admit this!) treasure your friendship and am so grateful its an eternal one!  :)

You can check out what they do on their Website or visit their Blog and you'll get the sense of Ashley's humor (just check out THIS blog post!) but you will also see the people that desperately need the gospel of Jesus Christ and basic necessities that we take for granted every single day.  I still laugh about the time Ashley came over and ended up making her own dinner because I had just had wrist surgery and I kept saying, "I use this gadget to make the potatoes", to which she would reply, "I'll just use the same pot"...the phrase "American cooking meet African cooking!" was coined.  :)  When we did our addition to the house in Tucson and my dishwasher didn't work right away, I remember being frustrated that I had to hand wash dishes when I had "so many better things to do!".  I remember praying and God brought to mind Ashley spending the day sewing her kitchen "cupboard doors" and while they were awaiting the container they had shipped from the States (and had literally no idea when it would get there), she was using a camp stove, one pot, and maybe several utensils (my memory fails me!), but my heart was duly convicted and I counted the blessing of having so many dishes to wash, hot water to wash them with, a brand new addition to be living in, a wonderful husband that loves me, etc etc etc.  We are truly blessed beyond measure here in the States and far too easily (and quickly!)  forget!

Recently, Tim and Ashley went to help build a clinic in Kabwe, the city they are living in (or close too...). Former President George Bush and Laura Bush were there to help build the clinic as well! (Click Here for News Story)  They had no idea they were going to be there...they just went there to serve and help build the clinic and lo and behold God had a sweet gift for them!! Love how God does "little above and beyond kindnesses" that He doesn't have to!!! :) Really neat to see pictures of Tim and Mr. President getting their hands dirty building a clinic....and Ashley got to bake him cookies! :) (You can see the story from their perspective on Ashley's blog Here ) :)



 Tim and Ashley, I just wanted to publicly say thank you for your example of serving the Lord and I'm so thankful I can see God blessing your obedience to take the gospel to Africa, even though you ran at first for a few years! (Ashley did anyway...Tim is just crazy...when he was 19 he went to a Muslim mosque to witness to them during Ramadan....he's grown a little since then!) :) (And God has protected his life many a time!)





And now for some fun pictures with "just plain ole us" :) 


 This was the beginning of December 2010...Frederick is zoned out but its a good pic of us! :)


  Tim and Jordan laughing about something (probably at me wanting to take another picture!)...we "sneakily" had Tim on "Monica" duty so we got good talking time
and I'm pretty sure the guys spent most of the time chasing after her! :) 

Tim and Ashley are going to be in the States in October (to check on my "facts" see their website or blog!) and doing another "Container project"...they will be collecting Bibles, Christian text books, tools, kitchen supplies and other stuff....again you can find the details on the website.  They filled a container a couple years ago and have already passed out all the Bibles and curriculum  materials they collected as Tim continues to disciple local pastors and help teachers in the area that WANT to teach school from a Christian Worldview, but have, literally, no materials.  In one of their last newsletters there was a picture of a teacher, I believe her name was Esther, who LITERALLY gets paid in peanuts to teach the children that come to her "classroom". Humbling and convicting all at the same time. 

 May we all obey the gospel call of Matthew 28, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen."  We all have a "mission field" we are called to whether its our children, our family, our neighbors, coworkers, friends, doctors, nurses, (wink wink!), or even the cashier at the grocery store.  Go and proclaim Him to all those around you for, as Paul says in Philippians, to live is Christ. (thanks again for a FANTASTIC message, Rick Holland (2008, Paul's Manifesto: To Live is Christ)!)  

In Him,
Rachelle :) 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment