Friday, June 29, 2012

The Great Compassion and Mercy of Jesus

I was able to get some good sleep last night, praise the Lord!  Our only "to do's" today involve dropping off a sputum culture at UNC at some point today and then the conference begins with dinner and an introduction to the day tomorrow at 6:30 tonight, but we'll see how I'm feeling.  I'm pretty wiped out.

In God's kindness, I was reading some of my favorite "go to" scriptures for my devotions this morning and went to Matthew 6 and for "some reason" kept reading and landed in Matthew 8:14-17: "When Jesus came into Peter's home, He saw his mother-in-law lying sick in bed with a fever.  He touched her hand, and the fever left her; and she got up and waited on Him.  when evening came, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed; and he cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were ill.  This was to fulfill what was spoken by Isaiah the prophet: 'He Himself took our infirmities and carried away our diseases.'" I was moved to tears by the fact that Jesus paid the price for me so that One Day I will no longer suffer physically but will be able to worship Him for all eternity free from the presence of even an inkling of sin and nothing but a perfectly working physical body.  Those little things I long for at times like these: to take in a deep breath and not have a sharp stabbing pain in my left side, to have energy to serve others as He has served me, to chase the wind on my horse, to go to the beach like Mom and I had originally planned with this trip, and so many other little things that my heart and flesh long for.  In my flesh, I can be tempted to want those things right this second when God's plan continues to be for me to patiently endure the physical suffering with His joy knowing that His Word and His promises are complete.  They are so sure that in Romans 8:28-30 every action is in the past tense. (at least in English but pretty sure its as complete as complete can be...Smed or Scott you can help me out here!)  These are the promises I cling to on days when I am tempted to wish I could do this or that or was anywhere but where God has me.  Then I remember what Christ endured on the cross--the blood He shed, the excruciating pain as He suffocated to death to pay for my sin so that I might have those promises, and suddenly the pain seems like nothing.  And I remember that the ONLY place I truly want to be is exactly where God has me because that is HIS best for me.  :)

Thank you for your continued prayers and love and support!!!!!  Remember Jordan as well...I think he has been sleeping ok, and he is loving his new job, but my cell phone doesn't get service very well here (note to self: we are getting new phone/service next week!) so we haven't been able to talk/text as much as we would normally be able to.

Here's to resting and reading the first Mitford book all day today!  :)  (although the very first chapter has made me miss Crashers...my precious black lab who "chose me" kind of like this dog is choosing the pastor)

In His Everlasting Arms,
Rachelle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment