Friday, June 19, 2015

Thank You Part 2: Jenn Panknin

     The story of my friendship with Jenn goes back a long way--Jordan has been friends with her husband, Jeremy, since they were 13 in 1998.  Our friendship has a funny story to start.  When her and Jeremy started dating in the fall of 2005, they were the first guests to our first home that we had just purchased.  As we often do with friends, we played a game.  Unfortunately, the game we picked was our modified version of Uno called "Suicide Uno"....having known each other so long, Jordan and Jeremy have a 6th sense when it comes to playing games and it was girls vs. guys which was probably our first mistake because with the altered rules one of the guys would go out and leave us drawing 16 cards and counting all the points.  Needless to say, we got beaten badly...and we have never played that game together since.  Jenn is competitive when it comes to games so it was not the best introduction to us and I remember when they left, I turned to Jord and said, "How is this going to work?  We don't have anything in common and you and Jeremy are best friends and I don't think she likes me."  Funny enough, she was thinking the same thing.  We went on a double date to Red Robin and then the next time they came over, Jenn was asking questions, (which she is very good at!) and we discovered we both loved taking pictures and scrapbooking...and the rest, as they say, is history.  

     Since that first meeting our relationship has grown into a most precious treasure from heaven.  We have encouraged each other, comforted each other, exhorted each other, helped each other, and built a relationship with the foundation being the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and there is nothing like those relationships in this world.  She is so loving, kind, and patient--when I was recovering from my first psychosis, I have brief memories of her playing games with me to help my brain do something--when she was pretty much playing for me too.  We have shed many tears together and laughed a lot together--especially when we play Mario Brothers with our husbands---somehow I always get everybody killed, but we have lots of fun in the process!

     Let me just share a few ways she has served me over the last several months.  When I had to go to the ER in Phoenix and Jordan wasn't off work yet, she worked it out with Jeremy to take care of their 2 year old son so she could take me up there.  Not only did she take me, figure out how to get YouTube videos of the latest 19 Kids and Counting videos to watch while we were waiting  for a bed to open up, but she "slept" in a chair by my bed that first night until I got settled.  Later that week after the vestibular injury happened and Jordan didn't want me being left alone in the hospital, she arranged for a friend to watch Landon in Phoenix overnight so she could come stay with me and then take me home when I got discharged the next day.  As soon as she walked in her door after bringing me home, they got a call for a Foster child placement that we had all been praying to happen for months.  The very next day, she was at my house with both kiddos in tow with Candy, cooking some meals, and getting me all set up.

     She drove me to multiple doctors appointments, some in Phoenix, with two kids under 2 in tow, and when she got a 3rd kiddo (making it 3 under 2...a 2 year old, 3 month old, and 5 day old) it still didn't deter her from helping out with rides to the doctors or other things.  She just packs them all up and brings them along.  She also watches my nephew for my sister one day a week and one day she watched Candy's boys so Candy could take me to multiple appointments in Phoenix and she took 5 boys under 5 to the Children's Museum.

     Then there was our trip to Nebraska.  Her Mom watched her two oldest kiddos so we had the youngest, 3 weeks old, with us.  For the long distances of the airport, I was in a wheelchair and we had lots of baggage between baby stuff, my medical stuff, and a weeks worth of cold weather stuff, as we both tend to over pack, but hey, at least we are always prepared!  The landings were the hardest for me as I shared in a previous post, so I had to use the seats as support to walk to the front of the plane and then wait for the wheelchair.  Jenn had the baby wrapped on her front, my backpack on her back, her diaper bag on her shoulder, and my machines for my treatments in a carry on rolling that down the aisle of the plane.  During the trip, she was always checking up on me and making sure I was getting my treatments in and resting when I needed to, not just when I wanted to.  

     She's the friend I can call anytime, day or night, and I know she will always be there if it's humanly possible for her.  Jeremy is the same way with Jordan.  We truly have an incredible relationship with them as we both consider them best friends and its not often that couples have the same type of relationship with the other's best friend as well.  Jenn, I am so grateful beyond words that God brought you into my life--you've helped me weather a lot of storms, and I cannot wait to see how many crowns you will have to cast at Jesus' feet because of your love and servant's heart toward me...and Jordan.  You were both there when Jordan had his heart attack, we've walked through our infertility journeys together, you've even managed to help me through one of my surgeries, even though you can't look at needles and get queasy with any medical stuff!  The list would be a mile long of the seasons of life we have helped each other through and I'm so thankful we are back in the same city as you and can see each other all the time.  I love you dearly sweet friend and am so thankful we will get to spend eternity praising Jesus together! 

     Since we both love pictures, I have quite the options available, but will leave you with just a few.  ;) Ok...you got more than a few.... :) 

Snow on Mother's Day in Nebraska! 

Mt. Rushmore!

Getting to GO HOME! 


Heading to Nebraska

Saying Goodbye in Montana last summer

Hiking in Glacier National Park 



Playing in the river by our house in Montana




Surprise goodbye/early birthday  party before I left for Montana






This picture represents many answered prayers for little ones!

Celebrating Jenn's birthday



Jenn taking me to a doctor on my birthday 

Hiking with Jenn, Landon, and the dogs

My birthday lunch at Chick Fil A 

My chauffeur being silly :)  

Re-creating Mt. Rushmore with our faces 


Group photo in Glacier National Park 


Landon's first horse ride!

Way back when! 

Wedding day!


Yes, our hubbies like to "ruin" our pictures ;)

Playing a game

Hiking Catalina State Park



Sabino Canyon fun 


Picture of the picture taker

Renaissance Festival 



Trying out my treatments :) 


Landon was so tiny!


Special group of ladies! 

Goodbye from my Tucson visit while living in Montana








      

No comments:

Post a Comment