Sunday, May 4, 2014

I Win

     We had a guest preacher that did a conference at our church this weekend.  This evening's message really hit close to home.  In the course of the message, he shared the story of a man he knew who went in for a simple hernia surgery and three weeks later was given the news that cancer had spread everywhere, there was nothing they could do, and was given 7 days to live.  When Pastor Bill asked his wife how he took the news, she said he responded with, "I win."  She went on to explain that they were very competitive in everything they did, sometimes even getting into bed at night, one would jump on the bed and declare, "I win."  When this 32 year old man whose wife was pregnant with their first child was given the news he had 7 days to live, he simply answered that he won--he would get to heaven first.  

     With all that Jord and I have gone through--almost losing me in the first psychosis episode and then his heart attack, this struck very close to home.  The Spirit stirred my heart and I came home and wrote this poem.  Cass, I've never met you, but I pray that God will give you His all sufficient grace to continue the journey towards heaven and to remember that One Day as His beloved children, we all win.  We will be in the presence of God and fellowship and worship Jesus with our beloved ones for all of eternity and this life will seem but a vapor and as the familiar hymn goes, "When we've been there 10,000 years, bright shining as the sun, We've no less days to sing God's praise, than when we first begun."

I Win

Two little words,
Uttered at the darkest of times,
A child on the way,
And cancer taking Daddy home…

Home to be with Jesus,
Where there is no more pain, sorrow, or suffering,
Only the glorious inheritance that is ours,
Because of Calvary’s cross…

Lord, for the ones left behind,
We don’t understand,
We all ask why,
We wrestle with the truths in Your Word…

A child will never meet his earthly Daddy,
A young wife who three weeks before,
Was looking forward to all that was in store…

Oh how this hits so close to home,
For the beloved one You have given me,
To walk through the valleys and peaks of the mountains of life,
Is always wondering in the back of his mind,
When will I get that call?

I can still see the pain on his face,
As he is writhing back and forth,
Me helpless to do anything,
But beseech my Savior above and wait…
When those nine minutes seemed like an eternity,
Being passed by the ambulance with blinking lights,
Knowing my beloved one was under their care…

The doctor coming and giving us news,
The news of “we don’t really know”,
And if it’s this scenario,
There will be nothing we can do.

Numbness, yet God knows the cries of my heart,
My beloved one joking,
“Well, this funny thing happened, I’m still alive.”

 Praise be to God,
He saw fit to preserve our walk together,
But one day, this walk will end,
One will go before the other,
Unless Jesus comes back to take us all home,
Or He answers the cries of our heart to go together…

Only God knows the number of our days,
Our life here is but a vapor,
A vapor that sprouts into eternity,
An eternity of perfection,
Living with Jesus forever,
Reunited with our beloved ones,
And yes, in the end, for the children of God,
We all win. 



To Him be the Glory,
Rachelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment