Saturday, September 1, 2012

Wading Through Tests and Appointments

     I knew this week was going to be crazy, but still wasn't prepared for how exhausted I have been the last couple of days after a week full of appointments and ups and downs.  I haven't been able to nap lately and for three days in a row I have take two hour naps and groggily forced myself to get up afterwards.  Talk about PCD hangover!  

     Re-cap of appointments:

1) Saw my ENT on Monday and I have a sinus infection but because we still don't know what's happening with the GI system and if it's a bacterial overgrowth or something else going on, neither my lung doc or ENT want to put me on anything for my "normal" stuff.  So I've been irrigating like crazy but I think that's part of why I've been extra tired as well.  Pray that the sinuses wouldn't "feed" into my lungs and cause a lung infection--it's the last thing I need right now!

2) Saw the Endocrinologist (thyroid doc) on Wednesday.  Dad T. took the day off so he and Mom T. could be with me.  So thankful for them!!  On the upside, my thyroid levels had normalized in my most recent blood work.  He said that back in June he was not surprised with how sick I was that my levels were off.  On the down side, he is testing me for a super rare, not the best thing to have syndrome.  He told me multiple times, "You don't want what I'm looking for."  At first I was thinking, "I just want the answer" but when I got home and started looking into it more I really don't want what he is testing me for.  I've had to pray hard to take thoughts captive and trust God's sovereign hand.  In talking to Jacob, one of our elders, he reminded me that until there is something concrete, it's all "vain speculation."  Been recalling to mind Matthew 6 a lot and repeating verse 34 "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.I've read through that chapter many a time and my dear friend Candy and I have prayed through it together and reminded each other of its wonderful truth's over the years.  She called Wednesday afternoon when I was in "freak out" mode and we were able to pray together and she reminded me of His truths once again.  God is so gracious to always provide exactly who or what you need right when you need it.  Candy was just calling to check in and "happened" to call right when I needed truth spoken to my heart the most.  Thanks for always being there friend!!!!  I'm so incredibly thankful for the sweet friends God has blessed me with--friends that are there when I need a shoulder but they also speak truth to my heart in the midst of the tears in a way that reminds me of His truth, especially when I don't want to hear it, but need it more than anything.  

3) Had the gallbladder hidascan on Thursday morning.  I had to fast for this test and lay still on my back for an hour.  I was able to get up and move around, but then had to lay right back down for another 20 minutes while Sharon, the nuclear medicine tech who was super sweet and a gift from God, injected CCk into my body to simulate a fatty meal.  It did what I was expecting--I got nauseous, pain, and felt generally miserable, and got a sinus headache to top it all off.  The first hour was hard because I had to hold super still--lay someone with lung disease on their back and tell them to hold still and the first thing we want to do is cough up a storm.  I had HGTV to help distract me but the last 20 minutes I was praying like crazy for God to sustain me and get me through.  As always, He did.  Was so thankful for Ingrid and Dena to be my "Moms" and take care of me!  Ingrid had an audio book to listen to that was a collection of smells and all the memories that go with it.  It talked about gardening with Grandpa and his smell and brought back so many wonderful memories with Papa and Grandma.  It then talked about lilacs and describing spring--the perfect thing to keep my mind from straying to feeling nervous about the test.  :)  Dena was waiting in the waiting room when I got out and helped me out to the car and home.  She made my shake to get something on my stomach, got me settled, did the dishes, and left me to do my treatments and rest for the afternoon until Jordan picked me up for my evening appointment.

4) Saw my Naturopath on Thursday night.  He adjusted me again on my left shoulder blade from the fall and gave me some exercises to do to strengthen one of the muscles around the elbow to help that not hurt.  I forgot about my left side being weaker and grabbed a gallon of milk out of the fridge the other day and was immediately reminded that it is still healing.  We backed off some of my supplements and upped Vitamin C to help with the sinus infection.  Like everything else, we can't really "go" in a specific direction until we have some concrete answers. 

For Prayer:

1) That we would remember Matthew 6 and live today for today and not worry about the future that only God can see.  It is tempting for all of us, but how much energy we needlessly waste over things that God has perfectly under control!

2) That we would be able to get some answers soon.  I have to avoid certain foods for the Endocrinologist test for a week, so I won't be doing that urine test until this coming Wednesday.  Some of the tests take two weeks to get any results so we won't know anything until my follow up appointment on the 18th.  In the last week I've had over 20 vials of blood drawn for multiple tests for multiple doctors, so hopefully we should be getting some news relatively soon. 

3) I see my GI doc on Thursday to follow up with the hidascan results and to talk about the next steps, which will likely include an endoscopy, whatever needs to be done for the gallbladder and ask other questions in light of what the Endocrinologist is testing for.

It's been a long, rough summer, but God continues to sustain us for which I am truly grateful.  As with any trial, we are closer to the Lord than ever and Jord and I continue to grow and love each other more and more every day.  Jord truly is a rare gem to treasure--he works long hours, then comes home and listens to me, shepherds my heart when I need it (which has been pretty often this summer!), holds me when I cry, encourages me, helps with house and grocery stuff, and continues to treasure me more than anything on this earth.  So thankful for a man of God who is also a man of his word: he has stayed by my side through more sickness than health in our almost 8 years of marriage and words can never express how much I will praise God for eternity for giving me the man I am proud to call my husband.  I love you honey!!!!!!!  

Last summer, we went up to South Mountain for
a date.  Was fun to just sit and look at the city--
we could even seen the planes take off and land
at the airport.  :)  Nothing like spending time with
my best friend!  
 
Resting In His Everlasting Arms,
Rachelle :) 
       


No comments:

Post a Comment