Saturday, March 21, 2015

Hospital Update

     As most of you know I am in the hospital in Phoenix at Banner Good Sam on McDowell.  Now that I have my laptop I will be doing updates on my blog if you want the latest since it's easier to just type it once and everyone that wants to know what's going on can go to one place and then I don't have to expend energy answering questions and emailing and placing posts on facebook.  :)  

     So here's the latest:

     I'm waiting to see the Infectious Disease doctor today and waiting on my cultures to show what specific types of bacteria I'm growing (probably won't have enough details til Monday) and then we can get a treatment plan from there.  We know that I am growing two different types of bacteria--gram negative and gram positive.  This means I will at a minimum need two entirely different types of antibiotics.  If the bacteria is resistant to certain antibiotics, which it has been and will be to some things, this narrows my options.  Then, on top of that, there are a lot of things I can't take because of allergies or adverse reactions like psychosis (I know not all of you understand what this is so I will be doing a more in depth blog post explaining this...but for now basically I lost all touch with reality and was hallucinating and alternating between super anxious/manic and depressed/suicidal) that we definitely want to avoid.  

     There is a process called "desensitization" in which they take an antibiotic that I am allergic to and give me small doses under very close supervision in the ICU until my body will tolerate it.  We won't know if I need this until we see what I am growing and what my antibiotic options are.  I'm on one antibiotic right now hoping that it will at least start to take care of one type of bacteria.  

     Visitors are welcome anytime as I have a private room.  However, due to RSV/flu season NO CHILDREN UNDER 13 are even allowed in the hospital.  Also, because of my lungs, please take caution and don't wear smelly soaps/perfumes/cologne as those smells give me immediate chest pain.  Since I am in "droplet/contact isolation" you will also have to wear a gown and mask while in my room.  :)  

     Specific prayer requests: Wisdom, clarity, and direction for the doctors in choosing antibiotics so that we don't have any adverse reactions, or if we don't have an option, that there is a plan to protect me as much as possible. 

Grace and peace for Jordan as he is home alone during this time...neither of us sleep well apart from each other, but he has the added burden of caring for the dogs, making sure I am taken care of, working to provide for us, and now taking care of the house.  I'm sure he would appreciate invites for dinner or the occasional real home cooked meal.  He's learned a little over the last 10 years, but he only lived on his own for three weeks before we got married and survived on Mac N Cheese and Grapenuts. ;)  

Spiritual focus, physical healing, and that I would get to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with those around me.  There have already been some neat opportunities that I will share later, but I really should sign off and get some rest.  

     Thank you so much for all your prayers, love, and support during this difficult time.  We appreciate all of you!  

In His Mighty Grip,
Rachelle 






    

No comments:

Post a Comment